Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps – Brandt, 1841) is winter migratory bird in India. Normally found with it’s cousin Black-headed Bunting (Emberiza melanocephala).
They Breeds central Asia, from Kazakhstan east to Altai mountains, south to eastern Iran, Afghanistan, northern Pakistan, and western Sinkiang. Winters in peninsular India. Red-headed Bunting are slightly smaller and more compact than Black-headed Bunting, with somewhat shorter, more rounded wings and slightly stubbier bill, although plumage of female and immature much as Black-headed Bunting.
They normally found mainly in warmer, drier, and more open country, with less vigorous vegetation, in steppe, semi-desert, and desert oasis situations. Occupies all kinds of shrubby and herbaceous thickets, scattered in thin patches over relatively open countryside, but is highly typical of cultivated areas, seeking out water. In Indian winter quarters associates with E. melanocephala, sharing habitat and habits
Red-headed Bunting normally feed on seeds (especially cereals) and other plant material, invertebrates in breeding season. Adults apparently eat much plant food throughout summer, though diet of young almost wholly invertebrates.
Further Reading on Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps – Brandt, 1841):
- Ali S; , (1962), The BNHS/WHO Bird Migration Study Project – 2. Activities from 15-12-61 to 15-10-62, Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 59:3: 922 – 929.
- Ali S; , (1964), The BNHS/WHO Bird Migration Study Project-4. Activities from 13-9-1963 to 23-3-1964, Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 61:1: 99 – 107.
- Arkhipov VY , (2006), Status and distribution of selected bird species on the Russia-Kazakhstan border northwest of the Caspian Sea., Sandgrouse, 28: 156 – 160.
- Beresovikov, N., A. Kovshar. , (1992), [Breeding biology of Red-headed Bunting in farmlands on south-eastern Kazakhstan.], Russian Journal of Ornithology, 2(2): 221 – 226.
- Chattopadhay S; , (1992), Responses of hyperphagia, body weight and fattening in male migratory Red-headed Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps, after hormonal treatments, Proceedings of the Zoological Society of Calcutta, 45:1: 23 – 28.
- Chaturvedi, C. M., P. K. Suresh. , (1990), Effects of corticosterone, metapyrone, and ACTH on testicular function at different stages of the breeding cycle in migratory Red-headed Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps., General Comparative Endocrinology, 78: 1 – 11.
- DE JUANA, E. and COMITÃ DE RAREZAS DE LA SOCIEDAD ESPAÃOLA DE ORNITOLOGÃA , (1999), Report on rare birds in Spain in 1997., Ardeola, 46:1: 121 – 148.
- Eduardo DE JUANA and COMITÃ DE RAREZAS DE LA SOCIEDAD ESPAÃOLA DE ORNITOLOGÃA. , (2003), Report on rare birds in Spain in 2001, Ardeola, 50:1: 123 – 149.
- Fairbank, R. , (1994), Black-headed Bunting identification., Birding World, 7: 319.
- Glustchenko, F. P. , (1985), [Spatial variability of the song of the Red-headed Bunting.], Ornithologia, 20: 183.
- GRAHAM TEBB, AARON OFNER and SUCHIT BASNET , (2004), First documented record of Red-headed Bunting Emberiza bruniceps from Nepal, Forktail, 20: 99.
- Hale, M. , (1992), Red/Black-headed Bunting: the first record for Hong Kong., Hong Kong Bird Report, 1992: 134 – 138.
- Joseph Kren , (2001), Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), BIRDS OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC; Christopher Helm Publishers Ltd, : 284.
- K.Mullarney; L.Svensson; D.Zetterstrom; P.J.Grant , (1999), Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), COLLINS BIRD GUIDE – BRITAIN & EUROPE; Collins, : 375.
- Krys Kazmierczak; Ber van Perlo , (2000), Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), A FIELD GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF THE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT; Yale University Press, : 308.
- Kumar, V., et al. , (1991), A common functional basis for the photoperiodic mechanism regulating reproductive and metabolic responses in the migratory Red-headed Bunting., Period. Biol., 93: 169 – 174.
- Lal, P., J. P. Thapliyal. , (1985), Role of thyroid in sexual and body weight cycles of the female migratory Red-headed Bunting Emberiza bruniceps., Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 23: 75 – 78.
- Meininger, P. L. , (1996), Red-headed Bunting at Sint Philipsland in June 1995., Dutch Birding, 18: 69 – 73.
- Parasharya BM;Mathew KL;Yadav DN; , (1995), Community structure of bird pests and their diurnal rhythm in ripening Sorghum, Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 92:1: 11 – 15.
- Prasad, B. N., P. D. Tewary. , (1983), Photorefractoriness in a migratory bunting: a circadian mechanism in its termination., Physiol. Zool., 56: 64 – 66.
- RF Porter; S.Christensen; P.Schiermacker-Hansen , (2004), Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), BIRDS OF THE MIDDLE EAST; Poyser, : 220.
- Salim Ali; S Dillon Ripley, (1999), No. 2044. Redheaded Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps ) Brandt, Handbook of the Birds of India and Pakistan; Oxford University Press, New Delhi, Volume 10 (Flowerpeckers to Buntings ): 219.
- Sequeira M; , (1973), Migratory response of the Redheaded Bunting, Newsletter for Birdwatchers, 13:6: 7.
- Shirihai, H., S. Gantlett. , (1993), Identification of female and immature Black-headed Buntings., Birding World, 6: 194 – 197.
- Shivanarayana N;Kumar ST; , (1980), Sighting of Redheaded Bunting and Rosy Pastor in Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Mayura, 1:3-4: 9.
- Singh JM; , (1981), Occurrence of the Redheaded Bunting (Emberiza brunniceps Brandt) in Bombay, Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 78:3: 606 – 607.
- Singh VB;Lal P;Thapliyal JP; , (1992), Thyroid in intermediary metabolism of the migratory Redheaded Bunting Emberiza bruniceps (Brandt), Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 31:5: 422 – 425.
- Singh VB;Lal P;Thapliyal JP; , (1993), Role of thyroid in photoperiodically induced lipid metabolism of the migratory Redheaded Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps (Brandt), Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 31:5: 422 – 425.
- Tebb G; Ofner A; Basnet S , (2004), First documented record of Red-headed Bunting Emberiza bruniceps from Nepal., Forktail, 20: 99 – 100.
- Tewary PD;Prasad BN; , (1978), Photoperiodic response of Redheaded Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps, , : .
- Tewary PD;Prasad BN;Kumar V; , (1981), An evidence for the circadian control of premigratory events in Redheaded Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps, Pavo, 19:1&2: 35 – 41.
- Tewary PD;Prasad BN;Kumar V; , (1982), Circadian basis of photoperiodically induced testicular growth in Redheaded Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps, Animal Reproductive Science, 4:3: 245 – 249.
- Tewary PD;Tripathi BK; , (1983), Photoperiodic control of reproduction in a female migratory bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), Journal of Experimental Zoology, 226:2: 269 – 272.
- Thapliyal JP;Singh VK; , (1995), Role of male hormone in the regulation of the annual body weight and gonad development cycles of migratory male Red-headed Bunting, Emberiza bruniceps, Pavo, 33:1&2: 63 – 92.
- Ticehurst CB; , (1940), Systematic notes on Indian birds – VII, Ibis, 4:3: 523 – 525.
- Woo-Shin Lee; Tae-Hoe Koo; Jin-Young Park , (2000), Red-headed Bunting (Emberiza bruniceps), A FIELD GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF KOREA; LG Evergreen Foundation,Korea, : .